Monday 20 February 2017

Yarkshire Gamer is 3 years old !

Happy Birthday YG

Project Jutland was 2016
So here we are once again at the end of my gaming year. Feb 19th 3 years ago was the day when I finally got round to starting this blog, I had the Name and even the front page done back in 2010 but just never got anything "out there".

The blogging is still fun, I really haven't found a better way of recording the little miniature adventures I take part in. The pages here act as a great reminder to me when it comes to uniform colour schemes, previous games etc. It's great to look back personally for me, a photo album of my gaming activities, if you like. An old friend from back in the day found some old photos of a Leipzig game we played in the 80s a while back and it brought back great memories of that time, the game and those people, some of who I haven't seen in years. Looking back how I wish I had pictures of all those old games.

28mm SCW game "University City"
Last year I failed again to get my 28mm Crusades project up and running, other distractions mostly Nautical got in the way again. The Jutland project was a massive undertaking, 250 ships in 1/2400 scale (one of which had to be home made) was no small ask but it's been great to have the whole collection on the table and couple of times.

The Jutland Project saw me being interviewed for a podcast and having my first ever figure pictures in a Wargaming Magazine, which was nice.

I have been involved in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge this year for the first time and that has been great in kick starting my painting for the year. I still haven't got going on the Crusades yet but have finished a large chunk of 15mm SYW as well as more WW1 troops for Mesopotamia and some SCW.

15mm SYW French Guard
2017s project will again be an attempt to get the Crusades going, that is until I am once again distracted. I have picked up quite a bit of weird stuff recently 7tv, Malifaux, The Walking Dead and the rebooted Escape from Colditz game so I would definitely like to try those out over the coming months.

Before I review the top 10 posts of the year I would just like to thank all those who have visited, commented on or otherwise contributed to Yarkshire Gamer this last 12 months and hope to see you all again soon.

All the titles on the top 10 link back to the original post.

Yarkshire Gamer All Time Top 10.

10. Battle of Newbury 1643 Scenario


Without doubt one of my favourite periods and collections I always try and get one big ECW game a year in, sadly a defeat for the Righteous King (how is that democracy thing working out at the moment ?) in our action but it was a great refight.

9. Prelude To Leipzig 1813


This post details my first foray back into Napoleonic gaming, my first love and biggest (6000 plus 15mm figures), it was a first attempt at General de Brigade rules and although not 100% happy (I miss my Quarrie National Characteristics and no I don't care if they are old school) it seemed to work well. We have had another couple of games and we are nearly there. My Figs are all based at 33:1 so its been a case of trying to shoe horn the Figs into the rules.

8. The Battle of Gaines Mill 1862 Part 1


This post has proved to be both successful and resilient, this was last years No 1 Post so although it's dropped 7 it's still hanging on. A tribute to the US following of YG who do like a post about the ACW.

7. The Walking Dead (Mantic) Preview


In at 7 is one of Yarkshire Gamers reviews, I was completely unaware of the Kickstarter for this Game and came across it by chance at the Recon show in Pudsey. A cracking game and one I have invested in further, just need the time to play the damn thing.

6. Project Jutland - A Grand Day Out


The first of two Project Jutland posts in the top ten for the year. This post covers the games first ever public outing, at the FIASCO show at the Royal Armouries in Leeds. It was a great day getting the project on the table and I can honestly say that I hardly had a moment spare when I wasn't chatting to someone about the project.

5. X Wing The Campaign Begins


Now this post is becoming a proper Klingon ! It's appeared in the top ten for three years running. Although the Campaign has slowed a little with my work commitments it's still going strong and Game 30 is due soon. All the individual games link back to this single post as it contains all the Campaign rules which are updated as the game progresses so no surprise that folk keep going back to it.

4. Project Jutland - WTJ and the Grand Fleet Review


This was the most popular Project Jutland post of the year, it came about mid way through the Project when I had just finished the last of the British Dreadnoughts including some ships for WTJ, a high water mark in the Project in many ways.

3. 28mm Princess Bride Style Miniatures Review


Another review grabs the bronze medal this year, just 4 figures this time but what a great set of figures.

2. Deep Cut Studio Mat Review


Second position is another review, this one for the latest "craze" amongst us gamers, printed gaming table "mats", great products simple as, however if they managed 10% sales on the back of visits to the review I should be due a discount.

And Finally......



Last years number 2 is this years number 1. My how to base and paint WW1 Naval miniatures,  remarkably popular still.

Thanks again for your continued interest and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment