Monday 26 March 2018

A9 Cruiser Tanks for the Desert


There is nothing like a spot of early war British Cruiser Tanks to spark the imagination and here we have two of the earliest examples, a brace of A9s decked in early war the early war Caunter Scheme.


The models themselves are from Warlord Games, oddly this was the only 28mm version of the vehicle I could find, usually you can choose from one of a number of companies but here Warlord have cornered the market, sadly they don't do a specific desert version so there are no sand guards on these lovelies.



Paint wise have have used the AK Interactive Caunter Paints Set which provides all the official colours for the scheme. The paints are still a work in progress for me, I first used them on my Rolls Royce Armoured Cars a couple of months ago. With those I thought the Slate colour (the darkest) was a little on the light side. I still think it might be a mixing issue (I need to remember to get some ball bearings to put in the paint pots to aid mixing) but for this attempt I added some Olive Drab to the mix and I am much happier with the way it looks.

I like these official colours on these really early war models however I will stick to the Blue - Grey for the later stuff.


Crew figures are from Warlord and I have managed to fit a second one on one of the vehicles which gives it a bit of a nice look. I have named the tanks "Arnold" who there is a wartime photo of below and 'Arry'. The names are hand painted on the rear of the turrets.


As with the Panzers I did recently I have done a spot of mild weathering on the vehicles just to give them a lived in look, nothing over the top just a spot of chipping and some washes.


With the madness of the Analogue Hobbies Winter Paint Challenge over I will probably have a few weeks off painting. I still however have the Spanish Civil War battle to write up and we are off to the Desert this Saturday so these guys will be in action then.

No comments:

Post a Comment