Wednesday 29 March 2017

28mm Empress SCW Cavalry


After a slightly crazy month, I have a spot of catching up to do on the blogging and gaming front.

First up is my attempt at some 28mm Spanish Civil War Cavalry. The figures come from the most excellent range sold by Empress Miniatures.


I bought these at the York show in 2016, a unit deal of 10 figures for £36, they must be alright as I bought another 10 this year.


As you would expect with the Empress Range the figures are lovely sculpts and nicely detailed. The horses are separate from the figures which is ideal for me as I paint horses on a white undercoat with oils and figures in acrylic with a black undercoat.


The figures do come out rather nicely, I haven't decided yet how I am going to organise them as a unit for our SCW games but they will definitely add a new dimension to what is already one of my favourite periods.


For those of you who are looking at buying a set of these lovely figures, they do come with a separate Sword which sits on the side of Horse,  I chose to leave these off, they are gaming pieces first and I have a "if it might fall off, leave it off" rule.



One small quibble with this set is the difference between the Officer and the Bugler. The Officer is a slightly larger figure whose Horse,  at the saddle, is 3 or 4 mm higher. That and the poses make the Bugler look absolutely tiny. It's a small point but it's the first thing I see when I look at them.


A Grand addition to the SCW collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment